Welcome To Play Ball! Musical Services
Record Production / Music Publishing / Studio "Z"
David West, Producer / Musician
About David West
David West was born in Los Angeles, California on August 13, 1952. He has made Santa Barbara, California his home since 1971.
Since 1971 David has traveled to Europe, Cuba, Jamaica, Polynesia, Tasmania, Australia, India, Africa, Mexico, Fresno and all over North America playing music and pursuing his interest in ethno-musicology.
In 1972 David co-founded the "Cache Valley Drifters," a modern style bluegrass band that went on to record three ground breaking albums for Flying Fish Records (Chicago, Ill.) and tour North America for twelve years.
At roughly the same time, he worked as accompanist to the legendary songwriter Kate Wolf playing guitar, banjo and contributing original songs to her repertoire. He maintained a musical connection with Kate from 1974 until her untimely death (leukemia) in 1986.
Since the end of the Cache Valley Drifters in 1984, David has worked as a freelance musician, playing as a sideman in recording sessions and performances with many well known artists. The many hours in the studio have prepared David for work as the producer of many fine ethnic and regional style albums. They have involved various groups as well as a reunion album of the Cache Valley Drifters and two well received solo albums released in Europe and the U.S., featuring mostly David West compositions performed in regional styles.
Currently, days are spent writing, recording and performing material designed to advance the cause of regional musical styles. The goal: To bring more diversity to the popular musical menu, and in so doing, promote cultural tolerance and communication through music.
- Signs on with C.M.H. Records (Los Angeles) as staff producer and studio musician making records that feature North American regional influences.
- New Cache Valley Drifter albums "Echoes and Reflections" (Europe) and "White Room" (U.S.) are released (1996). "White Room" enters national Top Twenty on Gavins "Americana" music chart.
- Opens Play Ball's Studio "Z" in Santa Barbara (1996).
- Wins Santa Barbara County Arts Council grant competition for "Music Composition" (1998).
- New solo album for Europes Taxim label (2001).
- Turns in 50th "Pickin' on" CD for C.M.H. (2002).
- Song representation by Bug Music (L.A., Nashville)
- Artist representation by Box Office, Inc.(Nashville).